Bangalore Metro Rail signs 335mn loan deal with AIIB

first_imgKarnataka SHARE Bangalore railway June 06, 2019 Published oncenter_img Bangalore Metro Rail Corporation (BMRCL) and Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) have signed a project funding agreement for $335-million loan for the Phase-2 of Bangalore Metro rail project. BMRCL needs to raise ₹12,141 crore through senior debt, including sovereign loan, for the Phase-2 work. “European Investment Bank (EIB) has agreed to lend €500 million in two tranches, for funding part of Reach-6 (Gottigere to Nagawara), project cost of Phase-2 of the BMRCL. AIIB agreed to co-finance $335 million with EIB. Thus, the total amount will be equivalent of €800 million for Reach-6,” said a BMRCL release.The sovereign loan agreement with EIB for the first tranche of €300 million was signed on October 5, 2017. The loan agreement for the second tranche of €200 million was signed on September 28, 2018. The sovereign loan agreement with AIIB was signed on June 4 by Ajay Seth, Managing Director, BMRCL, and Supee Teravaninthorn, Director General, AIIB. “With signing of this loan agreement, BMRCL has tied up funds to the tune of ₹7,300 crore for Phase-2. BMRCL will tie up the remaining funds in due course of time,” the release said. SHARE SHARE EMAIL COMMENT COMMENTSlast_img read more

Read More »

New York States Education Commissioner to Resign

first_imgNew York’s education commissioner, MaryEllen Elia, said she would step down next month after four years that have seen changes in testing, teacher evaluations and expectations for what the children in the state should learn in each grade. Ms. Elia, who is 70 years old, said Monday she would begin working with a national firm focused on helping districts improve troubled schools, and would give specifics about her new job after she leaves office Aug. 31….last_img

Read More »

Safety action plan activated for Sarawak villages on interstate gaspipe route

first_img Related News Sarawak Fire and Rescue Department activates safety action plan for villagers along Sarawak to Sabah gas pipe route in Long Laput today. {{category}} {{time}} {{title}} MIRI: The Sarawak Fire and Rescue Department has activated a safety action plan for villagers living along the Sarawak-Sabah interstate gas-pipe route in Sarawak.Under the action plan launched in Long Laput in Ulu Baram district in northern Sarawak, these villagers will be trained to deal with any possible fire explosion incidents.Sarawak Fire and Rescue Department is also commissioning 13 voluntary community Bomba squads in Long Laput, Long Bemang and Uma Akeh which are located along the gas-pipeline route.Petronas is helping to sponsor firefighting equipment for these squads. Related News Nation 08 May 2019 Fire at Sabah-Sarawak gas pipeline, no explosion or casualties reported Nation 11 Jul 2019 Three early morning fires break out three hours apart in northern Sarawak Nation 17 Apr 2019 Sarawak Bomba flooding forest to contain fire in Kuala Baram Sarawak fire chief Khirudin Drahman launched the action plan and the voluntary Bomba units on Friday (July 12) morning in Long Laput village.The ceremony was witnessed by community leaders and Petronas pipeline operation manager Suffian Sabeli and Miri fire chief Supt Law Poh Kiong.Khirudin said the safety of the people living along the 600km-long pipeline route was a top priority.”The action plan involves training the villagers to be well-equipped and fully trained to handle any emergency situations if any incident happens along the gas pipeline.”Every settlement along the route will see this action plan activated,” he said.On Jan 10 last year, there was an eruption along the section of the giant pipeline near the Long Luping settlement located adjacent the Sarawak-Sabah border. That was the second incident to happen in four years in the northern Sarawak side.Petronas carried out a thorough inspection of the pipes after the incident.After Long Luping, other settlements include Long Semadoh and Long Sukang and then the Lawas hinterland, where the pipes connect to the Baram side, then winds towards Miri and Bintulu.The pipeline is to channel gas from Kimanis in interior Sabah to Bintulu port in northern Sarawak for processing and export.The pipeline is a RM4bil project by Petronas which started about 10 years ago.On June 11, 2014, an explosion occurred in the hills of Lawas district when a leak happened at a section of the pipeline.No one was injured in that 2014 incident.last_img read more

Read More »

Explainer What is at stake with Turkeys Russian air defence deal

first_img World 11 Jul 2019 EU threatens Turkey with sanctions over Cyprus drilling – draft Related News World 10 Jul 2019 Turkey warns United States against harmful steps over Russian S-400s Related News World 15 Apr 2019 Turkey says buying Russian defence system should not trigger U.S. sanctionscenter_img According to Ankara, the S-400s do not pose a direct threat to the U.S. military. It has proposed setting up a technical working group that could include NATO, to address U.S. concerns about the potential impact of the system on U.S. F-35 jets. This proposal has so far been left unanswered, Turkey says.Why is the United States opposed to the deal?The United States says the Russian missile system is not compatible with the NATO defence network and that it could pose a threat to its Lockheed Martin F-35 stealth fighter jets, an aircraft that Turkey is helping to build and planning to buy.Turkey’s purchase also contravenes U.S. legislation, known as Countering America’s Adversaries through Sanctions Act (CAATSA), which requires Washington to impose sanctions on countries which buy military equipment from Moscow. The missile deal further complicates U.S. policy in the Middle East by heightening tensions with Ankara at a time when Washington has been exerting pressure internationally to isolate Iran by blocking Tehran’s oil exports. Turkey had been a major buyer of Iranian oil, but has halted purchases so far. The United States and Turkey are also at odds over the Syrian conflict and other issues.What has the United States offered as an alternative?In trying to persuade Turkey to give up the Russian missiles, the United States offered to sell its Raytheon Co. Patriot missile defence systems.Turkey’s defence minister has said Turkish and U.S. officials were working on price, technology transfer and joint production issues on the latest U.S. offer, made in late March. However, no agreement has yet been reached.Several NATO allies have also provided Patriot missile batteries to protect Turkey’s southern borders during the conflict in neighbouring Syria. What consequences will the deal’s completion have?Washington has repeatedly said Turkey will face “real and negative consequences” if it proceeds with the acquisition, including suspension of procurement and industrial participation in the F-35 programme and exposure to sanctions under CAATSA.If the United States removes Turkey from the F-35 programme, and imposes sanctions on its NATO ally, it would be one of the most significant ruptures in recent history between the two nations.However, Erdogan has repeatedly voiced confidence in his rapport with U.S. President Donald Trump, who has expressed sympathy over Turkey’s situation. At a meeting with Erdogan in June, Trump blamed former President Barack Obama’s administration for failing to help Turkey acquire Patriot missiles as an alternative to the S-400s.In theory, the president has the authority to withhold or delay CAATSA sanctions. However, U.S. officials have said that the Trump administration still plans to impose the sanctions on Turkey and remove it from the F-35 programme. (Reporting by Daren Butler; Editing by Dominic Evans and Gareth Jones) {{category}} {{time}} {{title}} ISTANBUL (Reuters) – Turkey took its first deliveries of the Russian S-400 air defence system on Friday, a development likely to trigger U.S. sanctions on Ankara and escalate tensions between Turkey and its Western partners in the NATO military alliance.Why does Turkey need the Russian defence system?Ankara sees the system as a strategic defence requirement as it faces security threats from its southern borders with Syria and Iraq. It says that when it made the S-400 deal with Russia, the United States and Europe had not presented a viable alternative.Turkey has said the Russian system met its expectations in terms of price and technology and it hopes to cooperate with Russia in the development of the next generation S-500 missile systems, benefiting from technology transfer and co-production.last_img read more

Read More »

Shortage of certain spare parts of AN32 jet due to strain in

first_imgShortage of certain spare parts of AN-32 jet due to strain in Russia-Ukraine tiesIn a written response to a question in the Rajya Sabha, Minister of State for Defence Shripad Naik said the Indian Air Force (IAF) has 98 AN-32 aircraft and none has outlived its operational life.advertisement Next Press Trust of India New DelhiJuly 16, 2019UPDATED: July 16, 2019 00:21 IST More than half of Indian Air Force’s AN-32 aircraft have been upgraded with structural upgrade, Minister of State for Defence Shripad Naik said. (File Photo)There is shortage of certain Russian-origin spare parts of AN-32 transport aircraft due to strained relations between Russia and Ukraine, the government said Monday.In a written response to a question in the Rajya Sabha, Minister of State for Defence Shripad Naik said the Indian Air Force (IAF) has 98 AN-32 aircraft and none has outlived its operational life.”More than half of Indian Air Force’s AN-32 aircraft have been upgraded with structural upgrade as well as installation of advanced avionics such as radar, radio sets, navigation system etc and the remaining are under upgradation in a phased manner. The serviceability of the fleet has been at par with other fleets,” he said.”There is shortage of certain spares of Russian origin due to strained relations between Russia and Ukraine,” Naik added.Russia had annexed Crimea from Ukraine in 2014 following which the ties between the two nations strained.In response to another question, he said 500 terrorists were killed in counter terrorist (CT), counter infiltration (CI) and terrorist initiated incidents (TII) in 2017 and 2018.In a written response to a question in the Rajya Sabha, Naik said 235 and 265 terrorists were killed in 2017 and 2018 respectively.Eighty-five Army personnel died in “battle casualties” in 2017 and 2018, he said.Jammu and Kashmir saw 131 terrorists initiated incidents in 2017 and 318 in 2018, he added.Replying to another query on transportation along the China border, he said the development of strategic infrastructure along border areas is undertaken in a holistic and comprehensive manner to include construction of roads, strategic railway lines, tunnels to ensure all weather connectivity and to enhance defence preparedness along the border.Accordingly, a revised ‘Long Term Roll on Works Plan’ of Border Roads Organisation for five years (2018-19 to 2022-23) has been formulated for construction/improvement of 272 roads of length 14,545 kilometres.”Out of these 272 roads, 61 roads of length 3323.57 kilometres have been identified as strategic. Work has been completed on 2304.65 kilometres and work on balance stretches is in progress.”Further, in addition to meeting the operational requirement, the above mentioned roads on completion, would also enhance accessibility to border areas where the border infrastructure and forward connectivity is lacking,” he said.ALSO READ | No replacement, AN-32 aircraft will fly in mountainous areas: IAF chiefALSO WATCH | Wreckage of missing An-32 aircraft found in Arunachal Pradesh after 8 daysFor the latest World Cup news, live scores and fixtures for World Cup 2019, log on to indiatoday.in/sports. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for World Cup news, scores and updates.Get real-time alerts and all the news on your phone with the all-new India Today app. Download from Post your comment Do You Like This Story? Awesome! Now share the story Too bad. Tell us what you didn’t like in the comments Posted bySnigdha Choudhurylast_img read more

Read More »

Hafiz Saeed challenges terror financing charges against him

first_imgHafiz Saeed challenges terror financing charges against himThe Counter Terrorism Department (CTD) of Punjab Police on July 3 registered 23 FIRs against 13 leaders of the Jamaat-ud-Dawah including its chief Hafiz Saeed on the charges of “terror financing” in different cities of Punjab province.advertisement Next Press Trust of India LahoreJuly 13, 2019UPDATED: July 13, 2019 00:10 IST The 2008 Mumbai attack mastermind and chief of the banned Jamaat-ud-Dawah (JuD) Hafiz Saeed.The 2008 Mumbai attack mastermind and chief of the banned Jamaat-ud-Dawah (JuD) Hafiz Saeed and his six senior aides on Friday challenged the charges of terror financing and money laundering against them in a top Pakistani court in Lahore.The Counter Terrorism Department (CTD) of Punjab Police on July 3 registered 23 FIRs against 13 leaders of the JuD including its chief Hafiz Saeed on the charges of “terror financing” in different cities of Punjab province.Despite the Punjab Police’s claim that all those nominated in the terror financing FIRs will be arrested, no action has been taken against them so far.On Friday, Hafiz Saeed, who is reportedly living at his Jauhar Town residence in Lahore, challenged these FIRs in the Lahore High Court (LHC).Hafiz Saeed and other six JuD leaders made the federal and the Punjab governments, and CTD respondents in the case.”Hafiz Saeed and other (petitioners) are not members of Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) as per the (earlier) judgement of the LHC. The petitioners have no nexus with LeT or Al-Qaeda. They belong to the JuD and they are not involved in any terrorist activity and they are only working for social welfare like ‘Edhi’ and more than that they are also educating the poor and the needy,” the petition said.”The Indian lobby made allegations against them (Hafiz Saeed and others) that they are involved in Mumbai attacks but there is no such evidence or even any linkage born out from the said documents against the petitioners. There is no evidence that the petitioners are involved in anti-state activities and security risk,” it said.The petitioners prayed to the LHC to declare that they (petitioners) are not linked with the LeT and therefore the CTD’s FIRs be declared illegal.The CTD said that it booked Hafiz Saeed and his 12 aides for “terror financing” in 23 cases after finding “irrefutable evidence” against them.The cases have been registered in Lahore, Gujranwala and Multan for collection of funds for terrorism financing through assets or properties made and held in the names of Trusts or Non Profit Organisations (NPO) including Al-Anfaal Trust, Dawatul Irshad Trust, Muaz Bin Jabal Trust, etc.The CTD said that investigation launched into financing matters of proscribed organisations, JuD and LeT, in connection with implementation of UN Sanctions against these designated entities and persons as directed by the NSC (National Security Committee) in its January 1 meeting, chaired by Prime Minister Imran Khan for implementing the National Action Plan.”These suspects made assets from funds of terrorism financing. They held and used these assets to raise more funds for further terrorism financing. Hence, they committed multiple offences of terrorism financing and money laundering under Anti Terrorism Act 1997. They will be prosecuted in anti-terrorism courts for commission of these offences,” the CTD said.Deputy JuD chief Abdul Rehman Makki, MaliK Zafar Iqbal, Ameer Hamza, Muhammad Yahya Aziz, Muhammad Naeem Sh, Mohsin Bilal, Abdul Raqeeb, Dr Ahmad Daud, Dr Muhammad Ayub, Abdullah Ubaid, Muhammad Ali and Abdul Ghaffar are other suspects.Makki is lodged in the Camp Jail Lahore on the charges of making hate speech. The other suspects reported to have been hiding since the government took over over the properties of these organisations.Also Read | Cosmetic action against Hafiz Saeed, denial on Dawood expose Pakistan’s double standards: MEAAlso Read | Pakistan books 26/11 Mumbai attack mastermind Hafiz Saeed for terror financingAlso Watch | US exposes Pakistan’s lie on Dawood IbrahimFor the latest World Cup news, live scores and fixtures for World Cup 2019, log on to indiatoday.in/sports. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for World Cup news, scores and updates.Get real-time alerts and all the news on your phone with the all-new India Today app. Download from Post your comment Do You Like This Story? Awesome! Now share the story Too bad. Tell us what you didn’t like in the comments Posted byAkriti Anand Tags :Follow PakistanFollow Hafiz Sayeedlast_img read more

Read More »

Ghaziabad Harassed by classmates Dalit student commits suicide

first_img Next Indo-Asian News Service GhaziabadJuly 13, 2019UPDATED: July 13, 2019 13:55 IST Image for representation (Source: PTI)HIGHLIGHTSThe boy committed suicide after being harassed by his upper caste classmatesHe hanged himself at his home in Shastri Nagar area of GhaziabadVipin shared his plight with his mother Bhagwati DeviA 3rd-year Dalit student of Law at Ghaziabad-based Inmantec Institute committed suicide after being harassed by his upper caste classmates — a girl and three boys, police said on Saturday.According to the police, Vipin Verma (20) hanged himself at his home in Shastri Nagar area of Ghaziabad on Thursday, but the FIR was lodged by his father Police Constable Virendra Kumar at the Kavi Nagar police station late on Friday night.Police said, Neha Chaudhary and his friends Anu, Ankur and Arun had been harassing Vipin since June 14 over his Dalit identity. Vipin shared his plight with his mother Bhagwati Devi, who consoled him and asked him to focus on his studies.According to the FIR, Bhagwati Devi then shared the problem with her husband, who contacted the group over phone on Thursday to resolve the issue. The group assured Virendra Kumar not to harass his son again.But that very evening between 5 and 6 p.m., Vipin hanged himself at his home.Virendra Kumar in his complaint said: “I am a Dalit and the accused are influential persons of higher caste, so my complaint was delayed and the accused are still at large.”However, Superintendent of Police – City Shlok Kumar said: “We have registered the complaint, investigation is underway. We will arrest the accused soon.”Also read | Varanasi: BHU guards stop Dalit student from using toiletAlso read | JDU Dalit leader found hanging inside Bihar police station, 3 cops arrestedAlso watch | Please change your thinking: BJP MLA’s daughter’s emotional appeal to her fatherFor the latest World Cup news, live scores and fixtures for World Cup 2019, log on to indiatoday.in/sports. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for World Cup news, scores and updates.Get real-time alerts and all the news on your phone with the all-new India Today app. Download from Post your comment Do You Like This Story? Awesome! Now share the story Too bad. Tell us what you didn’t like in the comments Posted byAnumika Bahukhandi Tags :Follow Dalit studentFollow DalitFollow GhaziabadFollow Suicide Ghaziabad: Harassed by classmates, Dalit student commits suicidePolice said, Neha Chaudhary and his friends Anu, Ankur and Arun had been harassing Vipin since June 14 over his Dalit identity. Vipin shared his plight with his mother Bhagwati Devi.advertisementlast_img read more

Read More »