Governor Wolf Tours Expansion of Iron Workers Training Center, Touts Investments in Apprenticeships

first_img Economy,  Education,  Jobs That Pay,  PAsmart,  Press Release,  Workforce Development Pittsburgh, PA – Governor Tom Wolf joined local officials, employers and members of Iron Workers Local 3 today to tour ongoing renovations of the Iron Workers Training Center in Pittsburgh and discuss apprenticeships and PAsmart. The Wolf Administration provided $750,000 in Redevelopment Assistance Capital Program funding announced in June to help expand the facility and significantly increase the number of apprentices who will be trained.“Western Pennsylvania has more ironworker jobs open than there are skilled workers to fill them,” said Governor Wolf. “I am investing in apprenticeships and job training like this, so we can meet the demand for workers to build the cracker plant, manufacturing facilities, bridges and many other projects that are creating jobs.”The $4.2 million project will upgrade and expand the first floor and add a second floor to the training center, creating more space for hands-on training with modern equipment. The union expects to increase the number of apprentices from approximately 90 last year to more than 300 next year.“Not everyone wants to go to a four-year college, but apprenticeships like this enable workers to earn a good wage while learning at the training center and on the job with an employer,” said Governor Wolf. “These are jobs that can support a family and create a strong workforce that will attract more industry to Pennsylvania.”The starting wage for apprentices in the Iron Worker’s program is $19 per hour, which increases with experience. After the apprenticeship, the starting wage of journeymen is $33 per hour or more, plus benefits.Governor Wolf is expanding apprenticeship opportunities in Pennsylvania. His new and innovative PAsmart initiative will invest $30 million in workforce development. Of that, $7 million will be an increase in apprenticeships with a goal of doubling the number of registered apprentices by 2025. Since Governor Wolf established the commonwealth’s first Apprenticeship and Training Office in 2016, the number of registered apprentices has increased by nearly 20 percent from 13,282 registered apprentices to nearly 16,000.PAsmart also includes a $3 million increase in the successful Industry Partnerships program, which connects similar businesses with educational and economic development partners to provide the job training. An additional $20 million will be invested in education for the rapidly growing fields of science, engineering, math and technology (STEM) and computer science.In July, the governor was joined by business and labor leaders to sign an executive order that cuts red tape, improves coordination between several state agencies and more effectively delivers workforce development services to Pennsylvanians.The executive order places the governor’s private sector policy advisor, the Pennsylvania Workforce Development Board, in a leading role in coordinating job training strategies across the public and private sectors and will provide recommendations on the distribution of the $30 million in PAsmart funding, which will be driven out through a competitive grants process. August 10, 2018 Governor Wolf Tours Expansion of Iron Workers Training Center, Touts Investments in Apprenticeshipscenter_img SHARE Email Facebook Twitterlast_img read more

Read More »

The ins and outs of marrying yourself

first_imgNewsHub 6 October 2017Family First Comment: It’s incredible that we’re even having this discussion!!!Apparently the ‘kicker’ is that you can’t marry a ‘relative’. Say what??But apparently marrying yourself is not technically covered in the Marriage Act. Sigh!“So could we see a sologamist marriage in New Zealand? Well, kind of – although such an arrangement wouldn’t be legally binding. Sologamy is not recognised in law anywhere in the world, including New Zealand, so none of those who go through with it here would be recognised as being married under current legislation. There are still a few question marks over whether that would change, even if it rose to popularity, due to stringent laws that stop you from marrying relatives. It’s not clear whether sologamy would be considered incest, however, considering it hasn’t been included on the list of relatives you’re not allowed to wed in the Marriage Act 1955.”Sologamy, the act of marrying yourself, is on the rise across the globe.Last week, Italian woman Laura Mesi made worldwide headlines when she celebrated a wedding complete with bridesmaids, dozens of guests, a three-layer cake, but without a groom.The 40-year-old claimed the first ever self-wedding in Italy, splashing out more than $16,000 for her big day.On Valentine’s Day this year, Christchurch-born Emma Jane Love married herself on the Gold Coast.So could we see a sologamist marriage in New Zealand?Well, kind of – although such an arrangement wouldn’t be legally binding. Sologamy is not recognised in law anywhere in the world, including New Zealand, so none of those who go through with it here would be recognised as being married under current legislation.There are still a few question marks over whether that would change, even if it rose to popularity, due to stringent laws that stop you from marrying relatives.READ MORE: http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zealand/2017/10/the-ins-and-outs-of-marrying-yourself.htmllast_img read more

Read More »

La Liga: Benzema wins Player of the Month award for June

first_imgReal Madrid striker Karim Benzema has won the June La Liga Player of the Month award for his starring role. The French striker played a vital role for Los Blancos for their 100 percent record during the month, as they won all five of their league matches. Read Also: Man United battle Man City for Barcelona forward Real Madrid news is now dominated by their title run-in, as they look to win just their second league title in eight seasons. However, Benzema’s starring role in the attack has been recognised by La Liga. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Karim Benzema = Real Madrid’s fifth-highest scorer ever #UCL https://t.co/TOyrAjzHyY pic.twitter.com/Vbek42PcJF— UEFA Champions League (@ChampionsLeague) July 9, 2020 Zinedine Zidane’s side have had a perfect record since the restart of Spanish football last month, winning all seven league games and moving clear of Barcelona at the top of the table. Madrid’s successes have been built on their strong defensive record as they have conceded just two goals across that run of victories. Benzema netted twice in the 3-0 win at home to Valencia and also scored in the 2-1 victory at Real Sociedad, while he provided a sensational back-heeled assist to Casemiro in the 1-0 triumph at Espanyol.center_img Well done, Karim! @Benzema is @LaLigaEN’s Player of the Month for June!#RMLiga | #HalaMadrid pic.twitter.com/FXus6lVOp4— Real Madrid C.F. (@realmadriden) July 10, 2020 Loading… Promoted ContentTop 10 Most Romantic Nations In The World7 Ways To Understand Your Girlfriend Better5 Of The World’s Most Unique Theme ParksBirds Enjoy Living In A Gallery Space Created For Them5 Of The World’s Most Unique Theme ParksWho Is The Most Powerful Woman On Earth?7 Black Hole Facts That Will Change Your View Of The UniverseCan Playing Too Many Video Games Hurt Your Body?7 Theories About The Death Of Our UniverseCouples Who Celebrated Their Union In A Unique, Unforgettable Way7 Universities Where Getting An Education Costs A Hefty PennyTop 10 Most Iconic Characters On TVlast_img read more

Read More »

Update on the latest sports

first_img Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditMINOR LEAGUE SEASON CANCELEDBaseball’s minor leagues cancel 2020 seasonsNEW YORK (AP) — Baseball’s minor leagues canceled their seasons Tuesday because of the coronavirus pandemic, and the head of their governing body said more than half of the 160 teams were in danger of failing without government assistance or private equity injections. —The San Diego Padres have acquired infielder Jorge Mateo from the Oakland Athletics in the first trade since baseball resumed after a shutdown of more than three months due to the coronavirus pandemic. The Padres will send either a player or cash to the A’s for the 25-year-old Mateo, who will be added to the player pool for the resumption of spring training. The Padres are scheduled to have their first workout Friday at Petco Park. —Shohei Ohtani (SHOH’-hay oh-TAH’-nee) will resume his two-way career with the Los Angeles Angels when baseball returns. Angels general manager Billy Eppler confirms his Japanese star will pitch and hit in the majors this season. Ohtani was only a designated hitter last season after undergoing Tommy John surgery. He wasn’t expected to pitch in 2020 until at least May, and Eppler confirmed that the coronavirus pandemic hasn’t altered the Angels’ plans. The Angels could have a six-man rotation for the short season.—Yankees general manager Brian Cashman is optimistic right fielder Aaron Judge, left-hander James Paxton, center fielder Aaron Hicks and designated hitter Giancarlo Stanton will be ready to play in the time for New York’s rescheduled opener at World Series champion Washington on July 23. Judge did not play in any exhibition games due to discomfort in his right pectoral muscle and shoulder that he felt when swinging. Paxton had surgery Feb. 5 to repair a herniated disk in his back.—Sinkerballing reliever Jared Hughes and the New York Mets agreed to a $700,000, one-year contract, a deal that amounts to $259,259 in prorated pay over the 60-game season. He had a 6.35 ERA over five appearances and 5 2/3 innings during spring training with the Houston Astros and was released March 19. A right-hander who turns 35 on July 4, Hughes was 5-5 with a 4.04 ERA last season for Cincinnati and Philadelphia. — Outfielder Heston Kjerstad agreed to a minor league contract with the Baltimore Orioles that includes a $5.2 million signing bonus, well below the slot value of $7,789,900 assigned to the No. 2 overall pick. The 21-year-old joins a rebuilding Orioles team that has lost at least 100 games in two straight seasons and used the No. 1 pick in 2019 to secure catcher Adley Rutschman out of Oregon State. June 30, 2020 MLB-RACIAL INJUSTICE-MVP PLAQUES‘A dark past’: MVPs say time to pull Landis name off plaquesNEW YORK (AP) — As monuments, statues and memorials around the world come under increased scrutiny, some former Most Valuable Players in Major League Baseball are saying they’d like to see a change in future MVP plaques. The trophy is engraved with the name of Kenesaw Mountain Landis in large letters. Landis was baseball’s first commissioner and there were no Black players in the majors during his reign from 1920 until his death in 1944. His name has been on every American League and National League MVP plaque since then. Barry Larkin, Terry Pendleton and Mike Schmidt say they’d like to see it pulled off. The study conducted by Danish research firm RunRepeat in association with the Professional Footballers’ Association found 63% of praise regarding a player’s intelligence was aimed at those with lighter skin, while 63% of criticism for a player’s intelligence was aimed at those with darker skin tones. The study looked at 80 matches in the Premier League as well as the top divisions in Italy, Spain and France this season. The positive tests occurred on June 23, the first day all members of the team were tested as part of the NBA’s plan to restart the season, which was suspended in mid-March because of the pandemic. Griffin says the Pelicans have had no players test positive since.When the Pelicans return to action on July 30 against Utah at Disney’s ESPN Wide World of Sports complex outside of Orlando, Florida, they will be 3½ games out of the Western Conference’s final playoff spot with eight games left.VIRUS OUTBREAK-NHL-HURRICANESHurricanesRALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — Members of the Carolina Hurricanes have returned to their home ice at PNC Arena as the team began voluntary training sessions amid the second phase of the NHL’s return plan. —The Oakland Athletics are selling cardboard cutouts with fans’ photos that they will put in the seats at the Coliseum this season. The team also plans to mix in images of former players and celebrities alongside the fan cutouts. Major League Baseball is looking to play a 60-game regular season this summer because of the coronavirus. There will be no fans at ballparks on opening day, but some markets are hoping to play in front of smaller crowds by the end of the season. The cardboard cutouts for A’s games range in price from $49 to $129. Proceeds from the sales go to charity.VIRUS OUTBREAK-NBA-PELICANSThree New Orleans players test positiveNEW ORLEANS (AP) — Pelicans general manager David Griffin says three New Orleans players have tested positive for COVID-19 and will be in self-isolation until testing shows they can return to team activities without infecting others.Griffin declined to identify the players, citing medical privacy laws. Associated Press center_img Six-time world champion Lewis Hamilton has been vocal about the Black Lives Matter movement and F1′s diversity issues. Black Lives Matter has been supported by soccer players in Germany, Italy and England taking a knee before and during games.BROADCASTS-DISCRIMINATIONSoccer players’ union points to racial bias in broadcastsLONDON (AP) — The soccer players’ union in England believes racial bias is evident during broadcasts of matches based on the language used by commentators in European leagues. Update on the latest sports NBA-RACIAL INJUSTICE-MORANT APOLOGYGrizzlies’ Morant apologizes for anti-police Instagram postMEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) — Memphis Grizzlies rookie guard Ja Morant posted and deleted an Instagram photo suggesting he’d replace his name with an expletive on his number 12 jersey in a protest against police. Morant then apologized, saying the post didn’t “accurately convey” what he wanted to share. Morant said he knows “there are good cops” out there.The league, Nike and the players association are reportedly working on a deal that would allow players to replace the names on the backs of their jerseys with social justice statements. The National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues, the minor league governing body, made the long-expected announcement. National Association president Pat O’Connor says the leagues “don’t have national TV revenues.” O’Conner estimated 85-90% of revenue was related to ticket money, concessions, parking and ballpark advertising. The minors drew 41.5 million fans last year for 176 teams in 15 leagues, averaging 4,044 fans per game. MLB teams are planning for a 60-game regular season and most of their revenue will derive from broadcast money.In other MLB news:Major League Baseball says a team will not specifically announce a COVID-19 injured list placement for a player who is removed from the club after testing positive, just an IL trip. MLB’s operations manual says a positive test and exhibiting symptoms that require isolation for additional assessment or exposure to someone who has had the virus are cause for placement on the new COVID-19 IL. — Yankees general manager Brian Cashman is optimistic right fielder Aaron Judge, left-hander James Paxton, center fielder Aaron Hicks and designated hitter Giancarlo Stanton will be ready to play in the time for New York’s rescheduled opener at World Series champion Washington on July 23. Judge did not play in any exhibition games due to discomfort in his right pectoral muscle and shoulder that he felt when swinging. Paxton had surgery Feb. 5 to repair a herniated disk in his back. — Outfielder Heston Kjerstad agreed to a minor league contract with the Baltimore Orioles that includes a $5.2 million signing bonus, well below the slot value of $7,789,900 assigned to the No. 2 overall pick. The 21-year-old joins a rebuilding Orioles team that has lost at least 100 games in two straight seasons and used the No. 1 pick in 2019 to secure catcher Adley Rutschman out of Oregon State. Toward the end of his tenure as commissioner, Landis told owners they were free to sign Black players. But there is no evidence he pushed for baseball integration.FORMULA ONE-PROTESTSF1 drivers discuss whether to take a knee at season openerLONDON (AP) — Formula One drivers will discuss taking a knee at the opening race of the delayed season in Austria on Sunday. McLaren driver Lando Norris says it will be discussed following the drivers’ briefing with the Grand Prix Drivers’ Association on Friday. In a video conference with reporters, captain Jordan Staal said the players went through safety protocols that included wearing a mask and getting a temperature check when arriving at the arena, as well as “keeping your distance as best you can.”The team had announced last week that roughly 16 players were expected to participate, divided into two groups, with workouts closed to the public and media.In other developments related to the coronavirus:— The LPGA Tour lost another tournament when the Canadian Women’s Open was canceled because of travel restrictions and quarantine requirements from the COVID-19 pandemic. The CP Women’s Open was scheduled for Sept. 3-6 at Shaughnessy Golf and Country Club in Vancouver. The LPGA Tour and Golf Canada say it will return to Shaughnessy the last week in August next year.— Up to 800 spectators per day will be allowed at a tennis exhibition in Berlin in mid-July. This, even after four players tested positive for the coronavirus after playing in a similar event fronted by Novak Djokovic. Organizers of two tournaments in Berlin say the city health authorities have approved a limited number of spectators. The maximum is set at 800 per day for a July 13-15 outdoor event on grass, and 200 per day for a hard-court event in a hangar at the disused Tempelhof airport from July 17-19. last_img read more

Read More »