Knicks Iman Shumpert Aiming To Return Better Not Sooner

Iman Shumpert, the New York Knicks’ guard who tore an ACL last season, expects to return to the team in late winter or early spring instead of by the end of the year, as speculation had asserted.The 6-foot-5 guard from Georgia Tech, who became an intricate part of the team’s success last season, told the New York Post that his priority is to come back healthy and that a set time frame was not a part of that equation.“What you all are saying is not what we’re going by,” Shumpert told The Post before last night’s 110-88 victory over the 76ers that improved the Knicks to 3-0. “January, February is what we’re aiming for. I’m just trying to get healthy. When I get healthy, I’ll return to the court. I’m not going to come back and not be able to do the things I did last year and a little more. I want to come back and add something.”The team is off to a 3-0 start without him, inspiring hope that they can be a solid team with even more depth with Shumpert’s return. The team, however, clearly is not rushing him.Shumpert is the only young player on the Knicks’ roster with star potential; he can defend, get to the basket, run the floor and finish with authority. He is an asset the club has to protect.The Knicks do have some depth with the two-point-guard lineups they’ve been using featuring Jason Kidd and Pablo Prigioni with Raymond Felton and J.R. Smith. The beauty of Shumpert is that he can play both guard positions and small forward.If he returns in February, that would give him up to three months to get into shape and a rhythm with the team before the playoffs — more than enough time. And if the Knicks can sustain any semblance of the continuity they have shown to this point and avoid major injury, the addition of Shumpert could make them a dangerous foe come the playoffs. read more

Read More »

Erika deadly heading to Turks Caicos and The Bahamas

first_imgFacebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Bahamian music legend gunned down at home in Turks and Caicos Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, 28 Aug 2015 – Tropical Storm Erika has done the worst; the storm is blamed now for as many as four deaths in Dominica where severe drought followed by the rainy system were too much for the steep terrain; it is reported that eight inches of rain fell in mere hours spawning landslides; 20 people are still missing, 80% of islanders there have no power. Erika had been described as poorly organized when she pummeled Dominica; next is Puerto Rico and Hispaniola where forecasters believe the mountains will shred the system which has grown tremendously to having winds extending 140 miles from the center and with gusts at 45mph.By tonight, the TCI will be experiencing the storm… Disaster Management and Emergencies has advised that there will be lots of wind in Provo. You can find the emergency shelter list and flood prone areas for your review posted at MagneticMediaTV.com or our social media. The TCI remains under Tropical Storm Warning as Erika moves west at 17mph and the center of the storm will move near the TCI according to the Bahamas Department of Meteorology. We are also warned that the amount of rainfall expected with Erika will likely bring moderate to severe flooding. Recommended for you Bi-lateral talks with Bahamas to resume, UK gives green light to high-level TCI delegation Related Items:bahamas, Dominica, hispanola, puerto rico, tropical storm erika, turks and caicos Post Maria: Dominica will rebuild with concretelast_img read more

Read More »

Assemblymember Brian Maienscheins legislation to combat human trafficking is signed into law

first_img September 5, 2018 Assemblymember Brian Maienschein’s legislation to combat human trafficking is signed into law 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek  . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsSAN DIEGO (KUSI) – An anti-human trafficking bill that was authored by Assemblymember Brian Maienschein was signed into law by Governor Jerry Brown today. AB 2105 allows courts to triple any fine, add a civil penalty, or damage award regarding the purchase of sex from a minor.“In San Diego alone, sex trafficking is estimated to be an $810 million a year industry and we can see that criminal sanctions are not enough to stop these reprehensible enterprises.”“AB 2105 protects children from sex predators looking to make money off their suffering. It also provides a base statutory civil penalty of $10,000 to be awarded to minor sex trafficking victims. This new law deters child sex purchasers and provides a source of funds for the rehabilitation of victims of commercial sexual exploitation,” said Maienschein.The U.S. State Department conservatively estimates 14,500-17,500 people are trafficked annually in the country. More than 80% of reported trafficking cases are sex trafficking cases. The average age of entry for girls into prostitution or pornography is 12-14 years; for boys in California, the average age drops to 11 to 13 years old.The bill’s author, Assemblymember Brian Maienschein joined us in studio on Good Morning San Diego to tell us about his bill that has been signed into law.Assemblymember Brian Maienschein, of San Diego, represents the 77th Assembly District in the California Legislature, which includes the communities of 4S Ranch, Carmel Mountain Ranch, Carmel Valley, Clairemont, Del Dios, Del Mar Heights, Fairbanks Ranch, Kearny Mesa, Mira Mesa, Poway, Rancho Bernardo, Rancho Penasquitos, Rancho Santa Fe, Sabre Springs, San Carlos, San Pasqual Valley, Scripps Ranch, Sorrento Valley, and Tierrasanta. Posted: September 5, 2018 Mike McKinnon III Mike McKinnon III, Categories: Local San Diego News, Politics Tags: Brian Maeinschein FacebookTwitterlast_img read more

Read More »

Navy Close to Approving Plan to Expand Fleet at Washington Air Base

first_imgThe Navy’s plan to add 36 EA-18G Growlers to the 82 electronic warfare aircraft now based at Naval Air Station Whidbey Island, Wash., could begin next year, after it released the final environmental impact statement for the move last week. The plan, which would establish two new expeditionary squadrons and add two aircraft to each of the installation’s existing carrier air wing Growler squadrons, has sparked local opposition as it would increase the number of training operations at both Ault Field at Oak Harbor and Outlying Landing Field (OLF) Coupeville, reported the Peninsula Daily News. The Sound Defense Alliance, a coalition of environmental and community groups from Whidbey Island, is calling for the Navy to find an alternate site to host the new aircraft. The alliance is particularly concerned about the planned increase in field carrier landing practice at OLF Coupeville, where annual operations would jump from 6,510 to 24,100.Some relief to residents could come from $2 million allocated in the fiscal 2019 defense spending bill for the Navy to research technologies that could reduce the noise produced by those aircraft. “The reality is the Navy has important work to do with training airmen, training those who keep us safe,” Washington Rep. Derek Kilmer (D) told the Kitsap Sun in August. “At the same time, the Navy needs to be a good neighbor. Part of the reason we’ve focused on efforts to reduce jet noise is to ensure the Navy upholds that obligation,” said Kilmer, who pushed for the funding.Navy Photo by Mass Communications Specialist 1st Class Jimmie Crockett Dan Cohen AUTHORlast_img read more

Read More »