Two more whales found washed up in Donegal

first_img Two more whales found washed up in Donegal Loganair’s new Derry – Liverpool air service takes off from CODA Community Enhancement Programme open for applications Homepage BannerNews By News Highland – March 18, 2020 Twitter Facebook Important message for people attending LUH’s INR clinic Twitter RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Nine til Noon Show – Listen back to Monday’s Programme Two more pilot whales have been found washed up on shores in Donegal.An adult whale has been discovered on the mouth of the Ballyshannon River and a Juvenile Male Pilot whale at Hornhead.Its after two Long Fin Pilot whales were found stranded in the county last week.One was a Juvenile male and while the cause of death is currently unknown a reasonable sized bruise on its forehead and some skin deep scrapes and scratches were noted.And another juvenile male long fin pilot whale was found in a bad condition in South Donegal.The Donegal Irish Whale and Dolphin Group says there are quite a few strandings at the moment and is appealing to people to report any sightings.center_img Pinterest Pinterest Previous articleNew measures introduced for marts across the countryNext articleBody of woman body discovered at house in Letterkenny News Highland Google+ WhatsApp Arranmore progress and potential flagged as population grows Facebook Google+ WhatsApp Publicans in Republic watching closely as North reopens furtherlast_img read more

Read More »

5 reasons Americans are not saving money

first_imgAmericans are having trouble saving.Two recent studies carried out by independent pollsters say that more than 60% of adults have no emergency savings or less than $1,000 in their savings account. And among those who had savings prior to 2008, 57% said they’d used some or all of it in the Great Recession, according to a U.S. Federal Reserve survey of over 4,000 adults released last year. Those surveys don’t include automatic savings vehicles like a 401(k) or an IRA, but financial experts say consumers should try (if they can afford it) to make automatic payments into a savings account too.Personal savings rates as a percentage of disposable income dropped from 11% in December 2012 to 4.6% in August 2015, according to the Bureau of Economic Analysis, and have hovered at 5% since then. “It’s possible that the gains in net worth are going to high-income households, which could be consistent with the lack of savings for middle-income households,” says Mark Perry, a professor of finance and business economics at the University of Michigan-Flint. One way to keep your savings rates stable: Set-up automatic deposits and save part of your tax refund, says Signe-Mary McKernan, an economist at the Urban Institute, a think tank.Here are 5 reasons why so many American savings accounts are bare: continue reading » 47SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblrlast_img read more

Read More »

Southampton captain Jose Fonte signs new three-year deal

first_imgSouthampton captain Jose Fonte has signed a new three-year contract with the club. Fonte joined Saints from Crystal Palace in January 2010 and has been a key figure in the team’s rise from League One to the Barclays Premier League. The 31-year-old’s new contract extends his stay at St Mary’s by one year, with his previous deal due to expire in 2017. Press Association “I’m obviously very pleased and very happy,” Fonte said. “I want to thank the manager, Les Reed, Ralph [Krueger], Katharina [Liebherr] – all of the staff and all of the board – for showing their trust and belief in me. “I am extremely happy that they are giving me this opportunity to keep being in this great club, and I hope I can give back with good performances and by helping the club move forward. “This is where I feel happy and where I’ve been very successful, so this is where I want to be and where I want to win.” Fonte was appointed team captain by manager Ronald Koeman at the start of last season and led Southampton to a seventh-place finish, the club’s highest in the history of the Premier League. Koeman said: “I’m very pleased because he’s an important player for the team – he’s our captain. “He has played already several years for the club and he is really feeling well in Southampton – he’s a great professional and an example of how you have to behave in football. “He knows what you have to do to develop yourself, and I’m very happy that he stays for more years.” Fonte is set for his 240th Southampton appearance against Leicester on Saturday and the defender’s progress has also earned him seven caps for Portugal. “This sets a tremendous example for young players,” executive director of football Les Reed added. “As skipper, Jose has demonstrated leadership qualities that all young players should aspire to and it is good for them to see such long-term dedication to the club.” last_img read more

Read More »

Hopes of a peaceful Sudan poll

first_imgSouthern Sudan is set to become Africa’s new country. (Image: Final Gear) Sudanese President Omar Al-Bashir has vowed to recognize the new state. (Image: Centre for American Progress) MEDIA CONTACTS • Mustafa Biong Majak Koul Director General of Information Southern Sudan Government +249-922-260-000  RELATED ARTICLES • ‘Wild’ plans for two Sudan cities • Pact offers hope for Darfur’s young • Glimmer of hope in Sudan • Zimbabwe moves forwardBongani NkosiSudanese President Omar al-Bashir’s recent visit to the country’s south region is being seen as a possible sign that the upcoming referendum will be peaceful, and its outcomes will be accepted by the different parties.It’s all systems go for the January 2011 landmark referendum, which is expected to result in Southern Sudan becoming a country of its own. The predominantly Christian population there is in favour of breaking away from the Arab-dominated north.Thousands of citizens have to return home to take part in the vote. The UN Refugee Agency estimates that more than 400 000 Southern Sudanese have travelled back from camps for displaced people in and around Khartoum, while others have returned from exile in neighbouring countries.The referendum, which will take place over seven days from 9 to 15 January, is an outcome of the Comprehensive Peace Agreement (CPA) signed in 2005. This ended a two-decade-long war between the north and south.Al-Bashir visited Southern Sudan’s capital Juba on 4 January, just five days before voting kicked off, and was warmly welcomed by the region’s President Salva Kiir. International media reported that the visit was seen as Al-Bashir’s farewell to the region.Al-Bashir, who’s wanted by the International Criminal Court for war crimes, vowed to “congratulate and celebrate” with the south should its people vote for secession. He will recognise a new Southern Sudan state, he promised.There had been fears that Al-Bashir’s government would not support the breakaway, as the south is important to the broader country’s economy. About three-quarters of the country’s oil reserves are located there.Although unity between the two regions is desirable, Al-Bashir’s Khartoum-based government will respect the outcome of the referendum, the UK’s Guardian newspaper reported.“Imposing unity by force doesn’t work … We want unity between the north and the south, but this doesn’t mean opposing the desire of the southern citizen,” said Al-Bashir.Former South African president Thabo Mbeki, who’s in Sudan at the moment, was encouraged by Al-Bashir’s visit to the south.Mbeki, who’s highly active in the Sudanese negotiations as chairperson of the African Union High Level Implementation Panel, said Al-Bashir has show that he’s committed to the peace process.“Speaking in Juba, President Bashir displayed once again his commitment to the CPA and his qualities of national leadership,” Mbeki said in a speech at the University of Khartoum on 5 January.“There is no greater test of statesmanship than to accept, in a graceful, generous and humane manner, the decision of those of your people who have the opportunity to choose secession.“President Bashir’s Juba speech demonstrated that he, and the Sudanese leadership, are rising to the occasion, meeting the challenge of the exercise of self-determination by the Southern Sudanese.”Credible referendum predictedVoter registration has been completed and any remaining challenges regarding this will be dealt with through the courts before the final list of eligible voters is published, according to the UN.More than 3-million people have registered for the poll, with 51% of the portion being female.The UN panel tasked with monitoring the referendum is confident of a smooth voting process. “Based on our observations so far, we believe that a credible referendum can take place,” said the panel’s head Benjamin Mkapa, according to a UN statement.“The eyes of the world will be watching this referendum, and we hope that all the hard work that has gone into preparing for it will culminate in a vote that is smooth, transparent and a credit to all,” added Mkapa, the former president of Tanzania.The panel also includes António Monteiro, Portugal’s former minister of foreign affairs, and Bhojraj Pokharel, a former chairperson of the Election Commission of Nepal. The UN appointed the trio to ensure a credible referendum on behalf of Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon.It has been facilitating talks with opposing parties and other authorities, and encouraging them to resolve problems and disputes, the UN said.International and local observers About 3 000 observers from different parts of the world will travel to Southern Sudan to monitor the referendum. The Carter Centre, established by former US President Jimmy Carter, will lead a 100-strong observation delegation, which will include respected figures like former UN secretary-general Kofi Annan.The African Union will also send in a team of observers.“The referendum is a critical step in the implementation of the Comprehensive Peace Agreement,” Carter said in a statement. “We hope this process will help the people of Sudan work for a peaceful future, regardless of the outcome.”Former US Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry is said to have already arrived in Southern Sudan. The European Union is expected to deploy 110 observers from its 27 member countries.Russia said it will relocate four helicopters from Chad to Sudan to help the UN guarantee security during the referendum, according to an Al Jazeera report. China will also send a team of observers.last_img read more

Read More »

Tillerson Trudeau to meet to discuss North Korea says US diplomat

first_imgGUANGZHOU, China – An American diplomat says Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson will meet later this month to discuss the North Korea nuclear standoff.But the prime minister’s office would not confirm what the U.S. ambassador to China, Terry Branstad, told the Fortune Global Forum, a gathering of the world’s business elite in this southern China city.Tillerson and Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland have already announced that they will co-host a conference of about two dozen foreign ministers on the North Korean crisis sometime in the new year, somewhere in Canada.The goal of the conference is to brainstorm a diplomatic solution to North Korea’s recent launches of long-range missiles.Branstad said the Trudeau-Tillerson meeting would take place on Dec. 19.The U.S. deployed a B-1B supersonic bomber over South Korea on Wednesday as part of a large exercise involving hundreds of warplanes, in a show of force after North Korea’s most powerful test last week.last_img read more

Read More »

Row over Popular Vote between PNP and PDM

first_img Bahamas Police Commissioner Greenslade gone to UK, appointed as High Commissioner Nearly 30 Haitians caught following illegal landing in Nassau, says Defence Force Related Items:#MagneticNewsMedia Recommended for you Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, TCI, January 17, 2017 –  The Elections Office has not yet stepped in to end the row over how the popular vote was officially split in the Turks and Caicos; meanwhile there continues to be contributions by both of the major parties on who the majority of voter support went to despite this having absolutely no bearing on the outcome of a General Election in the Turks and Caicos.National Chairman and PNP Appointed member to the House of Assembly, Royal Robinson in a statement just after the new year pointed out to the General Public and to the PDM Administration that they ought to watch their steps and deliver true change, because most of the voters did not vote for them; Hon Robinson:  “The overall final tally of the votes cast at both the individual district level, as well as that of the All Island District, show that the PDM got 48% of those votes, while those entities that included the PNP, PDA and Independents got 52%.”  Robinson called it a Pyrrhic victory, adding that the way electors voted was not in total repudiation of the PNP.On the opening of the 2017 Legal Year, PDM National Chairman and elected member for Cheshire Hall, Hon Doug Parnell chimed in with comments that say something starkly different.  He spoke to media.   “Not only is Mr. Robinson wrong on his statistics, he is not offering the PNP and his supporters any hope.  What happened is the people overwhelmingly voted for change, and if you look at the numbers in the constituencies, if you add up the constituency votes from ED1 to ED 10, the People’s Democratic Movement secured 51.3 percent I believe of the popular vote, it was a decisive victory.  Where as the PNP, in those constituencies only secured 42 percent,  or a little over 42 percent of the vote.”Magnetic Media has been in touch with the Elections Office on several occasions about this missing information; there has been no clarity offered as yet as a matter of official public record.center_img TCI Premier blasts Opposition side for “slop” information, sets it straight in HOA #MagneticNewsMedia Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApplast_img read more

Read More »

Assemblymember Brian Maienscheins legislation to combat human trafficking is signed into law

first_img September 5, 2018 Assemblymember Brian Maienschein’s legislation to combat human trafficking is signed into law 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek  . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsSAN DIEGO (KUSI) – An anti-human trafficking bill that was authored by Assemblymember Brian Maienschein was signed into law by Governor Jerry Brown today. AB 2105 allows courts to triple any fine, add a civil penalty, or damage award regarding the purchase of sex from a minor.“In San Diego alone, sex trafficking is estimated to be an $810 million a year industry and we can see that criminal sanctions are not enough to stop these reprehensible enterprises.”“AB 2105 protects children from sex predators looking to make money off their suffering. It also provides a base statutory civil penalty of $10,000 to be awarded to minor sex trafficking victims. This new law deters child sex purchasers and provides a source of funds for the rehabilitation of victims of commercial sexual exploitation,” said Maienschein.The U.S. State Department conservatively estimates 14,500-17,500 people are trafficked annually in the country. More than 80% of reported trafficking cases are sex trafficking cases. The average age of entry for girls into prostitution or pornography is 12-14 years; for boys in California, the average age drops to 11 to 13 years old.The bill’s author, Assemblymember Brian Maienschein joined us in studio on Good Morning San Diego to tell us about his bill that has been signed into law.Assemblymember Brian Maienschein, of San Diego, represents the 77th Assembly District in the California Legislature, which includes the communities of 4S Ranch, Carmel Mountain Ranch, Carmel Valley, Clairemont, Del Dios, Del Mar Heights, Fairbanks Ranch, Kearny Mesa, Mira Mesa, Poway, Rancho Bernardo, Rancho Penasquitos, Rancho Santa Fe, Sabre Springs, San Carlos, San Pasqual Valley, Scripps Ranch, Sorrento Valley, and Tierrasanta. Posted: September 5, 2018 Mike McKinnon III Mike McKinnon III, Categories: Local San Diego News, Politics Tags: Brian Maeinschein FacebookTwitterlast_img read more

Read More »