Dixie State Men’s Basketball To Be Eligible For 2023 WAC Tournament

first_img Written by Brad James Tags: Dixie State men’s basketball April 27, 2020 /Sports News – Local Dixie State Men’s Basketball To Be Eligible For 2023 WAC Tournament FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailDENVER-Per the results of a Monday vote conducted by the Western Athletic Conference’s Board of Directors, the eligibility period for participating by transitioning institutions into the WAC men’s and women’s basketball tournament has been shrunk to two years.This means that Dixie State and Tarleton State, each of whom are joining the WAC for the 2020-21 academic season can participate in the WAC Tournament in 2023.The previous eligibility standards had been based on the NCAA transition period which remains at four years and is unaffected by this vote.The WAC joins the Atlantic Sun Conference in being the only NCAA Division I conferences to allow transitioning teams to compete in their basketball tournaments.last_img read more

Read More »

Camp Bisco Announces Initial Music Lineup For 2018

first_imgThe Disco Biscuits will once again play six sets when they bring Camp Bisco back to Montage Mountain in Scranton, PA from July 12th to 14th. Other headliners for the 2018 edition of Camp Bisco include Bassnectar, STS9, Lotus, Tipper, Bonobo (Live Band), Excision, and Illenium. They will be joined by an exciting cast of electronic, jam, and hip-hop acts like Ghostface Killah, Lettuce, Boombox, The Floozies feat. The Terminus Horns, TAUK, Papadosio, SunSqaubi, Naughty Professor, Kung Fu, 12th Planet and many more.Camp Bisco has taken place at a number of locations since it’s the first edition in 1999, but this summer will mark its fourth consecutive year at Montage Mountain, the Scranton, PA ski resort that’s played host to the festival since its return after a 2014 hiatus.See below for a full list of announced artists. Tickets for Camp Bisco 2018 are now on sale via the festival’s website.Full List Of Announced Artists For Camp Bisco 2018:Anne Lunde, Big Wild, Boogie T, Buku, Desert Dwellers, DJ Jazzy Jeff, The Floozies Ft. The Terminus Horns, The Funk Hunters, G Jones, Ghostface Killah, Jai Wolf, Lettuce, Liquid Stranger, Mija b2b Billy Kenny, Oliver Tree, Papadosio, Quinn XCII, Space Jesus (two sets, including a special downtempo set), Snails, SunSquabi, TAUK, Zion I x lespecial, Agent Zero, Bass Physics, Bluetech, Cofresi, Ducky, Flamingosis, Giant Panda Guerilla Dub Squad, The Hip Abduction, Horizon Wireless, Kidswaste, Kung Fu, Let’s Danza!, Magic Beans, Naughty Professor, Orchard Lounge, ProbCause, Space Bacon, Squinto, Yheti, Zeke Bearts[Cover photo via Dave Vann]last_img read more

Read More »

Swarbrick recounts atmosphere during accident

first_imgDirector of Athletics Jack Swarbrick entered the football practice field at about 4:47 p.m. Wednesday, and witnessed two completed passes. He said practice seemed normal, until he felt a powerful gust of wind, and saw objects that had formerly been stationary fly past him. “It was an unremarkable journey in the sense that practice was normal and plays were being conducted with no difficulty,” he said. Shortly after, Swarbrick felt the wind speed up and heard a crash. He described the minutes preceding Declan Sullivan’s death from his perspective in a press conference Thursday, where he told reporters the University is launching a full investigation into the video tower accident that caused the Notre Dame junior’s death. Swarbrick declined to answer questions about the possible effect of the day’s weather conditions on the accident until the investigation is completed. Winds reportedly reached 50 miles per hour when Sullivan, who was videotaping the football practice for the University, was on the scissor lift that collapsed. “There is a lot to learn here, and we will learn it all,” he said. “I know there’s a lot of speculation about what may or may not have happened, but that’s what the investigation is for.” Swarbrick also declined to comment on which channels of authority authorized an outdoor practice and who was responsible for clearing the videographers to tape practice from the tower. “It’s not one decision. There are multiple decisions made,” he said. “It’s not a decision to go outside. It’s a host of decisions relevant to ‘Do you go outside?’” The Notre Dame Security Police (NDSP) and a contracted accident reconstruction team are investigating the accident. The Indiana Occupational Safety and Health Administration (IOSHA) also launched an investigation. The state investigates all workplace fatalities, an IOSHA official said. As Swarbrick walked through the north end of the west field of the LaBar Practice Complex, he said he saw items like towels and Gatorade containers fly by him. Officials estimate the tower fell about 4:51 p.m., he said. “I noticed the netting on the goal posts start to bend dramatically and heard a crash,” Swarbrick said. “At first, I couldn’t orient the location of the crash.” Emergency personnel responded quickly following the collapse of the tower, Swarbrick said. NDSP responded in three minutes, followed by the Notre Dame Fire Department and a city ambulance. Swarbrick and head football coach Brian Kelly told players and staff members to leave the accident scene. “Coach Kelly remained with me by Declan until the ambulance attendant had Declan up on a lift,” Swarbrick said. Before the ambulance reached the hospital, Sullivan was no longer breathing on his own, he said. Sullivan’s parents and younger brother came to campus Wednesday evening. His sister is a freshman at the University. Vice President for Student Affairs Fr. Tom Doyle spent the evening with the family. During the press conference, University President Fr. John Jenkins said Sullivan was bright, energetic and dedicated. “There is no greater sadness for a university community than the death of one of the students. There is certainly no greater sadness for a family than the loss of a son or brother,” Jenkins said. “It is with the sense of that double sadness that on behalf of the whole University, I want to express our deepest condolences.” Swarbrick said the investigation into Sullivan’s death began immediately. In response to questions about practicing in the weather conditions and allowing the videographers to use the towers, he said each individual sports program makes its own decisions about how practice will proceed. Investigators will examine the decisions made about that specific practice leading up to the accident, he said. Swarbrick said no information will be released until the investigation is complete. He said he expects the practice field will be restored by this weekend. At least one other videographer was on a tower taping practice Wednesday. Swarbrick said he has witnessed past practices in which the video towers were not used, possibly because of weather concerns, most likely, lightning, he said. The videographers are part of the broader football administration team, and they report to a video coordinator. “We’ll let the investigation thoroughly and completely run its course. And then we’ll have the ability to really understand what happened, to learn from it and to move forward from it,” Swarbrick said.last_img read more

Read More »

Spurs going places – Holtby

first_img Press Association Holtby likens the Tottenham situation to the one Bayern Munich faced last season, when Jupp Heynckes managed to sustain a challenge on all fronts that eventually saw them complete a historic treble. “At Bayern Munich, everyone just did their work,” Holtby said. “The players were always patient and did their jobs for the team. “That’s why they won every title – and that’s how I see it here.” Holtby has no personal animosity towards Eriksen. Indeed, he has struck up a close personal friendship with the Dane, who was long touted as a potential Barclays Premier League player without anyone being willing to take a chance. “I get on very well with Christian,” Holtby said. “Off the pitch we do a lot of things. “On it when I get the opportunity I have to show that I can produce something. I need to keep working hard and putting on pressure. “It is going to be a very tough season because we have so many games. “I just saw the other day that we have eight games in December alone. People are going to get injured and we will need everyone.” The chances are Holtby will be back on the bench this weekend, though, when Chelsea visit White Hart Lane for a crucial Premier League encounter. While the result itself may not mean too much in terms of the title battle, a favourable outcome could generate a sense of belief in the Spurs camp that would push them a long way. “I don’t want to put that word in the mouth but we are aiming for very high things,” he said. “Chelsea is a massive game for us and a positive result can give us the confidence we need for the rest of the season. “We want to get in the top four. We want to play Champions League. That is the main aim.” In particular, the deadline-day arrival of Christian Eriksen from Ajax has closed off an avenue to Villas-Boas’ first-choice line-up, hence the Germany international’s selection for Tuesday night’s 4-0 Capital One Cup triumph at Aston Villa. Holtby could be forgiven for a sense of frustration at how events have conspired against him. He has no such feelings, though. Instead he is looking forward to the campaign with relish. “I wanted to come here,” he said. “I wanted to have this challenge. “I could have stayed at Schalke. I could have played there all the time. “But I wanted to fulfil my dream of playing for a top club in the Premier League. “I know Tottenham are going to do something big and I wanted to be part of it.” The 23-year-old quit Schalke for the lure of White Hart Lane in January. Holtby quickly established himself as a regular under Andre Villas-Boas, only for his status to be undermined by the huge amount of change Spurs have undergone to cope with the world-record exit of Gareth Bale to Real Madrid. Lewis Holtby has no regrets about hitching a ride on the Tottenham bandwagon because he is convinced they are destined for the very top.last_img read more

Read More »