Honduran radio program taken off air after pressure from city’s mayor

first_img HondurasAmericas News Receive email alerts May 13, 2021 Find out more 2011-2020: A study of journalist murders in Latin America confirms the importance of strengthening protection policies “Reporters Without Borders demands the immediate reinstatement of the program ‘Noticiero Independiente’,” said Camille Soulier, head of the organization’s Americas Desk. “A serious and independent investigation must be carried out to determine whether the manager of Radio Estereo Castilla was the target of coercion by local officials. It is deplorable that the authorities respond to criticism of their administration by attacking journalists and news organizations.” These revelations occur as the Honduran government has given a clear sign that it means to silence critical voices. Dubon is also a correspondent for Radio Globo, one of the country’s most listened-to opposition broadcasters ever since the January 2009 coup. The media group Radio y TV Globo is under threat of closure since its head David Romero Ellner recently became the target of several lawsuits. He was accused last month of criminal libel, a crime punishable by up to 15 years’ imprisonment. September 2, 2014 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Honduran radio program taken off air after pressure from city’s mayor Reports Help by sharing this information TV Globo journalist Julio Ernesto Alvarado was sentenced to 16 months in prison in December last year for criminally defaming Belinda Flores, the former economics faculty dean at the Autonomous University of Honduras. Although his sentence was reduced to a fine, the penalty was clearly disproportionate and the case has been referred to the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights. Honduras is ranked 129th of 180 countries in the Reporters Without Borders press freedom index. The program “Noticiero Independiente” (Independent News), broadcast by Radio Estereo Castilla in Trujillo, was taken off the air on 20 August as a result of pressure from the city’s mayor. In a statement issued by the Committee for Freedom of Expression on 18 August, the presenter Miguel Dubon reported the efforts of the mayor of Trujillo to censor his program. The journalist said the electricity was cut off regularly at the time the broadcast, known for its criticism of the local government, was scheduled.Two days later, the radio station’s manager told Dubon that “Noticiero Independiente”, which had been broadcast for 12 years, was being cancelled as a result of pressure from the local authorities and from a representative of the National Telecommunications Commission. According to Dubon, a city councillor had put pressure on the manager of Radio Estereo Castilla.“I want to ask you a favour,” he quoted the councillor as saying. “You will fire that son of a bitch from the station. If you get rid of him, the mayor will make sure you are paid 7,000 lempiras. If you don’t, then they will close down the station.” HondurasAmericas center_img RSF’s 2020 Round-up: 50 journalists killed, two-thirds in countries “at peace” December 28, 2020 Find out more Organisation April 27, 2021 Find out more to go further RSF begins research into mechanisms for protecting journalists in Latin America Follow the news on Honduras News News RSF_en last_img read more

Read More »

How the once mighty HAS fallen: Foxtons share price drops to all-time low of just 62p

first_imgHome » News » Agencies & People » How the once mighty HAS fallen: Foxtons share price drops to all-time low of just 62p previous nextAgencies & PeopleHow the once mighty HAS fallen: Foxtons share price drops to all-time low of just 62pFollowing recent gloomy trading updates the company’s stock price has been dropping since April, falling by 4% yesterday to a five-year low.Nigel Lewis12th June 201802,351 Views The share price of Foxtons, once lauded as the fastest-growing and most successful estate agency in the UK, yesterday sunk to an all-time low of 62p, only 3p shy of the sector’s lowest-value stock, Hunters.Foxtons’ shares have been haemorrhaging value since early April this year following a series of unremittingly gloomy trading updates that have revealed dramatic year-on-year plummets in profits and turnover.Its most recent update last month revealed that market conditions in the capital remained “very challenging”. Group revenues for the first three months of 2018 were £24.5 million, down from £28.7 million during the same period the year before.All parts of its business including sales, lettings and mortgage lending saw dropping revenues.This has led to many City investors ditching the company’s shares, which peaked in March 2014 at £3.89 when the company held an unassailable and increasingly dominant position in what was then a booming London market.foxtons share priceIts current share price represents an 86% reduction from this peak following yesterday’s 4% drop in its share price.It’s been a bad few weeks for the company. Last month a national newspaper ran an unflattering story about a landlord’s experience with two nightmare tenants that Foxtons had sourced and referenced.And two weeks ago London Mayor Sadiq Khan included Foxtons on his online ‘name and shame list’ of unscrupulous agents over a 2017 fine of £35,000 won by trading standards officers at the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. It appealed the fine last week and lost.But the continuing slump in Foxtons’ share price is not unexpected. Following its 17th May update, analyst Credit Suisse set its share price target at 56p.Mayor of London Sadiq Khan foxtons share price June 12, 2018Nigel LewisWhat’s your opinion? Cancel replyYou must be logged in to post a comment.Please note: This is a site for professional discussion. Comments will carry your full name and company.This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.Related articles Letting agent fined £11,500 over unlicenced rent-to-rent HMO3rd May 2021 BREAKING: Evictions paperwork must now include ‘breathing space’ scheme details30th April 2021 City dwellers most satisfied with where they live30th April 2021last_img read more

Read More »

OUSU slams Doctors & Nurses pub-crawl

first_imgOxford University Student Union has condemned the ‘Doctors and Nurses’ pub-crawl planned by Carnage UK in Oxford later this week.During Tuesday’s council, OUSU added its voice to the national criticism of the events company. The motion passed described the Thursday night event as posing “a real danger to students’ health and wellbeing” and “a serious threat to already fragile relations between students and the permanent residents of Oxford.”Dani Quinn, OUSU VP for Welfare and Equal Opportunities, further argued that some of the planned Carnage activities such as getting “a naughty nurse check-up” were “degrading and sexist”.OUSU is unable to stop the ‘Doctors and Nurses’ pub-crawl. However, the Student Union is calling on JCRs and MCRs to not promote the event to their members.The OUSU motion comes at a time of national furore around Carnage UK following the conviction of a Sheffield University student after he urinated on a war memorial at the end of a Carnage night.District Judge Anthony Brown suggested that the company should take some responsibility for the act saying, “Carnage was the name of the organisation that promote this type of activity and some might say someone should be standing alongside you this morning.”Since the judge’s comments, National Union of Students has called to stop Carnage at universities. 17 student unions across the country banned Carnage events.Richard Budden, Vice-President of the National Union of Students, has warned that “there is an acute and real danger to students who get caught up with these nights, not to mention the danger to members of the local population.”Student opinion at Oxford is mixed, with many students in support of the comany. Tim Wigmore, an undergraduate at Trinity College, believes that “as Carnage runs around 50 nights per year, it would be unfair to generalise about their events based on one isolated incident.”William Richardson of Somerville College supports this view, claiming that “whilst the depraved actions of an individual have been singled out and highlighted, Carnage cannot be held responsible as the overwhelming majority of students who take part in their events do not act in such a manner.”However another student has argued, “Although students themselves are responsible for their actions, Carnage events almost certainly encourage binge drinking amongst students.”Carnage UK regularly organises events in Oxford. Last year, the company ran a ‘dirty porn star’ fancy dress event in Oxford, which involved visiting six bars before the club event at Lava & Ignite.Inspector Matt Bullivant of Thames Valley Police pointed out that previous Oxford events “have passed off without any significant incidents occurring”, claiming that “there is a greater understanding among Oxford’s student body of the potential ramifications of their actions should they become embroiled in any incidents similar to those we have seen in Sheffield in recent weeks.”last_img read more

Read More »

Stocks making the biggest moves premarket: Alibaba, Lyft, Aurora Cannabis

first_imgCheck out the companies making headlines before the bell:Alibaba (BABA) – Alibaba shares are under pressure, amid concerns about tighter regulation of big tech firms by the Chinese government.  The decline in Alibaba shares comes despite an upbeat start to the e-commerce giant’s annual “Singles Day” event, with more than $56 billion in orders as of this morning. The stock fell 1.7% in premarket trading as of 7:33 a.m. ET.Lyft (LYFT) – Lyft lost more than $280 million during the third quarter, more than double the loss it reported in the same quarter a year ago.  However, Lyft reported better than expected revenue for the quarter and also said it was working on developing a new food delivery service. The shares rose 5% in premarket trading as of 7:33 a.m. ET.- Advertisement – Jack Ma, chairman of Alibaba Group Holding Ltd., speaking during a fireside interview at the Viva Technology conference in Paris, on May 16, 2019.Marlene Awaad/Bloomberg | Bloomberg | Getty Images Aurora Cannabis (ACB) – The cannabis producer announced plans to raise $125 million through a secondary stock offering.  Under terms of the offering, each share would be priced at $7.50 and the buyer would receive a warrant to purchase another share at $9 within 40 months. The stock dropped 15% in premarket trading as of 7:33 a.m. ET.fuboTV (FUBO) – The streaming TV service did report a larger than expected loss for its latest quarter, but revenue exceeded forecasts and the company also gave an upbeat current quarter outlook.  It expects to end the year with 500,000 to 510,000 subscribers, which would be up 58% to 62% compared to a year earlier. The shares gained 30% in premarket trading as of 7:33 a.m. ET.Tencent Music (TME) – Tencent Music reported better than expected profit and revenue for its latest quarter, boosted by growth in paying users for its music streaming service.  Tencent said it is seeing a continued improvement in the retention rate of paying users. The shares added 4% in premarket trading as of 7:33 a.m. ET.- Advertisement – – Advertisement –center_img AT&T (T) – AT&T’s WarnerMedia unit is expected to lay off up to 1,750 workers – about 7% of its staff – according to multiple reports.  WarnerMedia – the operator of HBO, TBS, CNN and the Warner Bros. TV and film studio – plans to hold an all-hands meeting today to give more information on the cuts to employees.Lemonade (LMND) – Lemonade reported a loss of 57 cents per share, smaller than the 64 cent loss that Wall Street had anticipated, while the mobile-based insurance company’s revenue also exceeded forecasts.  Lemonade also gave a better than expected current quarter outlook.Datadog (DDOG) – Datadog earned an adjusted 5 cents per share for its latest quarter, compared to a 1 cent consensus estimate, while revenue beat estimates as well.  The cloud-monitoring company also issued an upbeat outlook. The shares lost 8% in premarket trading as of 7:33 a.m. ET.Fair Isaac (FICO) – Fair Isaac reported adjusted quarterly earnings of $3.25 per share, well above the $2.32 consensus estimate, while the company behind the popular FICO credit scores also saw revenue exceed Wall Street forecasts. Sanmina (SANM) – Sanmina beat estimates by 32 cents with adjusted quarterly profit of $1.10 per share, with the electronics manufacturing company’s revenue beating estimates as well.  Sanmina also issued an upbeat outlook, saying its strategy was working despite a challenging economic environment.General Electric (GE) – GE has ended its “Corporate Audit Staff” program, as part of CEO Larry Culp’s effort to simplify operations.  The program allowed workers to rotate through various divisions of the company to groom them for future leadership positions.Tapestry (TPR) – The company behind the Coach and Kate Spade luxury brands was upgraded to “outperform” from “market perform” at Cowen, which points to a favorable pricing and profit margin mix as well as a refreshed marketing strategy for the company’s Coach Outlet operations. – Advertisement –last_img read more

Read More »

San Carlos City local nabbed for drug charge

first_imgThe 37-year-old resident Jesus Carlos Ejercito was caught around 3:15 p.m. on Aug. 4, police said. The court recommended a P200,000 bail bond for his temporary liberty./PN BACOLOD City – Police arrested a drug suspect in Barangay 1, San Carlos City, Negros Occidental. Ejercito’s apprehension was staged on the strength of an arrest warrant issued by Judge Arville Delgado of the Regional Trial Court Branch 57 in San Carlos City dated June 17, 2020. The suspect was detained in the lockup facility of the San Carlos City police station.last_img

Read More »

Rooney double delights Carrick

first_img But the 27-year-old looked more than settled on Tuesday as United manager David Moyes won his first Champions League game at Old Trafford and Carrick was delighted to see the striker back to his best. “It was probably Wayne’s best performance that I’ve seen for a while,” the midfielder told www.manutd.com. “It’s great to have him in that form – he can be untouchable when he’s like that.” Rooney reached the landmark in just 406 games and now sits behind only Bobby Charlton, Denis Law and Jack Rowley in the club’s list of top marksmen. The achievement has brought the former Everton man many plaudits and former defender Viv Anderson, who made 69 appearances for United, believes he deserves to be regarded as one of the club’s greats. “He’s a United great and his record says that, 200 goals is great,” he told Press Association Sport at an event in Rotherham to promote Vauxhall’s Youth Football Programme for which he is an ambassador. “He is only 40-odd short of Bobby Charlton and Denis Law, so he has to be talked about like that. “He has had his ups and downs with the supporters but when it comes to matters on the football pitch, he gives 100 per cent and I am personally pleased he is back on board. The England international brought up the milestone as he netted twice in the 4-2 Champions League win over Bayer Leverkusen to move into fourth-place on the list of the Red Devils’ all-time top-scorers. Rooney has had a tumultuous summer with Chelsea seeing two bids turned down to acquire his services while speculation also mounted surrounding a potential move abroad. “Some supporters will remember the events of the summer but a lot of them will think of him for what he does on the football field and the great goals he has scored over the years. “There will be a minority who perhaps won’t look upon him fondly, but I think the majority will still love him. “We don’t know whether he really wanted to leave or not, David Moyes came out from the word go and said, ‘Wayne Rooney is not leaving the football club’, and that turned out to be the case. “He had to knuckle down and that’s what he did. He got back in the team, he is scoring goals and looking like his old self when he first arrived. He looks back to his best.” Rooney’s strike partner Robin van Persie was also on target on Tuesday night along with Antonio Valencia and, while neither of those two are likely to match the Liverpudlian’s goalscoring feats at Old Trafford, Carrick is delighted to see them all fully firing. “To have lads like that in your team is brilliant,” he said. “I thought Antonio was immense on Tuesday night as well and to have Wayne and Robin scoring and assisting is fantastic. “Even if they’re maybe not having the best of games they can always come up with something. I thought they played really well on Tuesday.” Meanwhile, United midfielder Jesse Lingard has joined Sky Bet Championship side Birmingham on a one-month loan deal. The 20-year-old is regarded as one of United’s most highly-regarded assets on the fringes of Moyes’ first team. Capped by England’s Under-21 side last month, Lingard is yet to make his senior debut for United but spent two months on loan at Leicester last season, making five substitute appearances. Michael Carrick was delighted to see Wayne Rooney back on form after the striker scored his 200th goal for Manchester United on Tuesday night. Press Associationlast_img read more

Read More »